Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Recycle

I have always been a massive fan of recyclable fashion. There is something really beautiful about clothing that is made from something unexpected, often this unexpected material makes the clothing fragile and not repeatedly wearable. The patience it must take and the skill too, to create something as extravagant as in this video, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14462176
I think it would be incredibly disheartening every time the dress started to deflate, or if one of the balloons burst in the process. I was gutted when my newspaper dress started to look worse for wear. Unfortunately it did end up in the bin but I do have plans to make another one which will hopefully last longer, if it is looked after properly. The joy of working with newspaper, it only took two hours to make and about a day to dry. There is no tape or stables, just paper and pva glue. There is no doubt that this was my favourite piece for my final Art projects in college. Almost makes me wish I'd done a Foundation course. Not quite though.
I hope to find some new designers that are looking at alternative materials soon and am sorely tempted to try and create something out of balloons. Not that I'd ever have enough to skill to even attempt to copy what she has created, something significantly less elaborate to start off with and then start progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment